While usual white rice is not eaten during Navratras, Sama rice makes for a good substitute. Almost the same texture and same taste, this rice is easily available and quickly made at home.
- Sama rice, cleaned and washed ½ cup
- Potato, cut into small pieces and fried 1 small
- Peanuts, fried 1 tablespoon
- Rock Salt (Sendha Namak) To taste
- Green chilli, chopped 1
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro), chopped 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil 1 tablespoon
- Water 1 cup
- Put a deep pan on heat and pour oil into it.
- Add jeera to the oil and as it crackles put the rice in the pan. Stir fry on low heat for one minute.
- Pour water in it. Also add rock salt, chopped chilli, fried potato and peanuts.
Tip: 1. You may also add fried paneer pieces into the rice.
- Stir well and pour in the water. Stir gently and cover the pan.
- Let the rice cook on low heat covered until the water evaporates and the rice becomes tender.
- Remove from the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Transfer into serving dish and enjoy with falahari kadi.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 1 – 2