The perfect breakfast for Navratra or any other fast, Sabudana Khichdi is a favorite and light dish that can be made easily and quickly. Its filling and promises a healthy start to an auspicious day.
- Sabudana, soaked and drained 1 cup
- Potato, cut into small pieces 1 large
- Green chilies, finely chopped 2 medium
- Peanuts, deep fried or roasted ½ cup
- Rock Salt (Sendha Namak) To taste
- Cooking Oil 1 – 2 tablespoons
- Soak the sabudana for at least an hour before preparing the khichdi to allow it to expand in volume and become soft. Then drain it and keep aside.
- Put a wok or deep frying pan over medium heat and pour the cooking oil in it.
- Once the oil heats up, add the cut potatoes and reduce the heat. Deep fry them until they become soft and then increase the heat to give them a nice reddish color.
- When done, take them out of the oil using a perforated spoon onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- In the same oil add the peanuts and fry them for a few seconds. Then remove them to the same plate as the potatoes.
- Now in the same hot oil add the chopped green chilies. They will fry instantly. Immediately also add the fried potatoes and peanuts.
- Add the rock salt and mix everything.
- Finally add the drained sabudana and mix everything. The sabudana will start to get sticky to you’ll have to put in some effort to mix it with other things.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes (excluding soaking time)
Serves: 1 – 2