You cannot count an Indian meal as complete without one or two chutneys. There is a lot many varieties of chutneys in India and many of them are made of seasonal fruits. Raw mango chutney is one such tempting chutney. Delicious in taste, this sweet and sour chutney can be served as an accompaniment with any meal and is very easy to make at home.
- 2 large size raw mangoes
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- ½ tsp onion seeds (kalaunji),
- ¼ tsp black salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 2 tsp musk melon seeds (kharbooza beej) (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- Peel and slice the pulpy portion of raw mangoes into small pieces. You may scrap or grate them too as many people make this chutney from grated mangoes.
- Put a pan on medium heat with oil in it add onion seeds to it when hot.
- When crackling of onion seeds starts add grated ginger, sauté for a minute and add rest of the ingredients except roasted cumin seeds powder.
- Mix well and cook for 10 minutes covered with lid of the pan.
- Open the lid, add musk melon seeds and roasted cumin seeds powder, mix well and let it cook for another 10 minutes with lid on.
- Open the lid and mix once again. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Pour into air tight container and serve according to requirement, this chutney can be stored for a year if refrigerated.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3
- For the best chutney, always select stiff and hard mangoes which when peeled should be white from inside.
- Jaggery may be used in place of sugar.
- Raisins may also be added along with melon seeds in this chutney.