Vegan cousins of the traditionally non-vegetarian snack, vegetarian hot dogs, are made with homemade patties and a lot of salad veggies stuffed within Swiss bread rolls. If you want to make them even healthier, make them without patties. Only veggie hot dogs are low-calories healthy snacks rich in vitamins.
- Potatoes, boiled, peeled and grated 2 – 3 medium
- Tomato, sliced 1 medium
- Green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into rings 1
- Cucumber, sliced 1/2
- Onion, peeled and sliced 1 small
- Cabbage, shredded 1/2 cup
- Green chili, finely chopped 1
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro), chopped 1 tablespoon
- Bread slices, soaked and squeezed 2
- Swiss bread roll 12 inches long 1
(Or Hot Dog roll)
- Put potatoes in a bowl add chopped green chili, coriander and soaked and squeezed bread slices.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix and mash everything into a smooth mixture.
- Take small portions of potato mix and roll into small balls within greased palms. Press gently to give a patty shape, keep aside for a while.
- Keep a griddle plate (or flat non-stick tava) on medium heat with 1 tablespoon butter on it and place potato patties on it to grill until crisp and brown from both sides. It may take 10 – 15 minutes depending on the size and thickness of the patties.
- Add more butter if required, remove from griddle plate and keep aside.
Tip: You may even deep fry the patties or you may use readymade vegetarian patties.
- Cut the Swiss roll or hot dog roll horizontally from center so as that it remains joined from other side.
Tip: If you wish to, lightly toast the hot dog rolls on the flat pan before layering them up.
- Arrange shredded cabbage on the inner side of the roll base. Top it with slices of bell pepper and tomato.
- Sprinkle salt and ground pepper then place potato patties and onion slices in layers. Place the other half of roll on top.
Tip: A thin layer of tomato ketchup or mustard sauce may be added on base before layering up other things for spicy or tangy tint.
- Cut the 12 inch hot dog into two halves and serve.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes