Vegetable vermicelli is a light and healthy breakfast cuisine that can also be served with evening tea. Also called vermicelli pulao, it may be made with any kind of vermicelli (wheat vermicelli, rice vermicelli or semolina vermicelli). Vegetables add a healthier approach as well as a nice aroma to this awesome dish.
- Vermicelli, roasted 1 cup
- Peas, boiled 1 tablespoon
- Carrot, boiled and chopped 1 tablespoon
- Onion, chopped 1 small
- Peanuts, fried 1 tablespoon
- Potato, boiled and cut into small pieces 1
- Mustard seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Curry leaves 8 – 10
- Red chili powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Lemon juice 1 teaspoon
- Salt To taste
- Cooking Oil 2 tablespoons
Note: If you don’t have roasted vermicelli just dry roast vermicelli.
- Take a pan with 3 cups of water and put on medium heat; add vermicelli in it, as the water starts boiling reduce the heat.
- Let the vermicelli simmer for around 5 minutes. As it becomes tender and increases in volume, switch off the heat.
Tip: Do not overcook the vermicelli otherwise it will become sticky. To check if it is boiled, pick few strands with a spoon and squash between the fingers lightly. It should easily squash.
- Drain out in a sieve and pour cold water on it to stop cooking further. Keep aside for a while.
- Put a shallow frying pan on medium heat with oil in it. Add mustard seeds in it, as they splutter add curry leaves and after that add chopped onions.
- Stir fry until brown then add salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Add boiled vegetables and peanuts, mix well.
- Put vermicelli in it and toss gently to mix well, add lemon juice to it and toss once again.
- Transfer into the serving bowl and garish with chopped coriander.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes