Corn kernels and colorful veggies in a translucent soup, the vegetarian sweet corn soup is refreshing and tasteful and can easily be made at home. It is a part of the Indo-Chinese cuisine and is quite versatile since it can be made with any combination of vegetables or meat (non-vegetarian version).
- Corn kernels, fresh or canned 1/2 cup
- Assorted Vegetables, finely chopped or julienned 3/4 cup
(Beans, Carrot, Peas, Cabbage)
- Corn flour 2 tablespoons
- Soya sauce (optional) 1/2 teaspoon
- Black or white pepper powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Oregano, crushed (or flakes) 1/2 teaspoon
- Vegetable stock 2 cups
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Spring onion greens, chopped (optional) 1 tablespoon
- Salt To taste
- Put a saucepan with 2-1/2 cups water on high heat. When it starts boiling add all chopped veggies into it except the cabbage and boil for a minute.
- Drain the vegetables through a sieve and keep aside.
- Dissolve corn flour in 1/4 cup water and keep aside.
- Pour the vegetable stock in a deep non-stick pan and place it on medium heat.
- As soon as the stock starts boiling add the corn kernels in it.
- Boil for 2 minutes or until the corn kernels become soft.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar and oregano.
- Now stir in the dissolved corn flour, while stirring continuously to make a smooth mixture.
- Finally add the boiled vegetables and shredded cabbage.
- Boil for 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat and add soya sauce, stir well.
- Immediately ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with chopped green onions. Serve hot!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes