Vegetables of choice in a garlicky, sour soup, this authentic Asian soup is popular all over the world. Each country adds its own peculiar twist to it, for example, in the US, bamboo shoots are added to this soup as a must and they keep it less spicy. This is the recipe for Asian hot and sour vegetable soup with some additional twists suggested at the end that you can try out as per your taste.
- Carrot, julienne 1
- Spring onions, whites sliced thin & green cut into rounds 2
- Small cabbage, diced into thin strips ¼
- Celery stalks, diced into small pieces 2
- Red bell pepper, unseeded and cut julienne ½
- Green bell pepper, unseeded and cut julienne ½
- Ginger, finely chopped 1 teaspoon
- Garlic, finely chopped 1 teaspoon
- Tofu, diced into cubes 100 grams
- Soya sauce 1 tablespoon
- Chili sauce 2 teaspoons
- White vinegar 1 tablespoon
- Corn starch, dissolved in ½ cup of water 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable broth or water 6 cups
- Cooking oil 1 tablespoon
- Salt and black pepper For seasoning
- Pour vegetable broth or water in a saucepan and place it on medium heat.
- While the liquid comes to a boil, put a fry pan on medium heat separately with oil in it.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic when oil heats up nicely, saute for a minute. Then add diced onions whites and stir fry for a minute.
- Add diced carrots and stir fry for 3-4 minutes; add in chopped bell peppers and cabbage, saute for a minute and transfer all contents of the saucepan into boiling water. Turn the heat to low-medium.
- Add in soya sauce and white vinegar, mix well and add tofu cubes.
- Cook for a minute and then add corn starch solution and chili sauce.
- Let the soup simmer for 2-3 minutes or until it reaches the required consistency, also adjust water as per requirement.
- Add in vinegar and turn off the heat.
- Ladle the soup out into serving bowls, garnish with greens of spring onions and serve hot.
Tips: You may add more vegetables to this soup like broccoli, beans, diced baby corns and bamboo shoots or even noodles. You may also add a little sugar if you want to adjust the spiciness of the soup.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes