Indian originated tikkas are among most popular appetizers today. Chicken or mutton tikkas are liked by non vegetarians whereas paneer tikka is popular among vegetarians, but vegans cannot eat any of them. So for all the vegans out there, here is a vegan recipe to prepare Tofu Tikka. It is a healthy combination of tofu and veggies where Tofu and veggies are marinated in a spicy soy curd marinade and then baked. These tikka skewers are very colorful and awesomely delicious, and perfect to be served as party appetizers.
- Extra-firm tofu 1 package (200 gm)
- Onion, peeled and quartered 1 small
- Green bell pepper, seeded & cut into chunks ½
- Red bell pepper, seeded & cut into chunks ½
- Yellow bell pepper, seeded & cut into chunks ½
- Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil 1 tablespoon
- Soy curd ¾ cup
- Red chili pepper powder 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Ground cumin 1 teaspoon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper To taste
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray To grease
- Wrap tofu in a couple of kitchen paper towels and place on your slab. Put a plate over wrapped tofu and place some weight on plate so as to drain out water from tofu. Leave for at least an hour then unwrap and cut into 1 inch size cubes.
- Combine soy curd with ginger paste, lemon juice and olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Season with all spices and stir well until everything is nicely mixed and turns into a homogenous marinade.
- Add tofu cubes and rest of vegetables into marinade and rub with your fingers, gently so as to coat all veggies and tofu cubes well with marinade. Leave aside, covered for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Grease upper surface of aluminum foil with vegetable oil or cooking spray so as to prevent marinated veggies and tofu from sticking to it.
- Thread marinated veggies and tofu cubes alternatively on pre-soaked wooden skewers or lightly greased metallic skewers. Place all threaded skewers over prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes or until marinade is dried and veggies and tofu are lightly browned at edges. Keep on rotating the sides after an interval of 10 minutes.
- Bring out of oven and transfer onto serving platter. Serve warm with choice of chutneys or other condiments.
Preparation Time: 50 minutes (excluding marinating time)