Partially boiled veggies and chopped fruits in generous portions of mayonnaise and cream, the Russian salad is extremely easy to make at home and is a great side-dish that can be served for formal get-togethers.
- Mixed vegetables, chopped into small pieces 2-1/2 cups
(Carrots, French Beans, Potato, Peas)
- Pineapple, chopped (fresh or canned) 1/2 cup
- Mayonnaise 1/2 cup
- Fresh Cream (not thick) 1/2 cup
- Sugar 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt To taste
- Freshly ground Black Pepper To taste
- Place an open saucepan filled with water on medium-high heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, add the chopped carrots, French beans and peas.
- Let them partially boil to a soft yet not completely squishy state.
- Boil the potato pieces separately. These should be completely boiled because partially boiled potatoes will spoil the salad’s taste.
- Place all ready chopped vegetables in a large bowl and add the chopped pineapple pieces. Toss to combine.
- Add the mayonnaise, cream and sugar. Also sprinkle the salt and pepper.
- Combine everything well and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least an hour. Serve chilled.
- Arrange torn lettuce leaves and chopped cucumber pieces in a ring on the edges of the serving platter and spoon the salad in between. Serve chilled.
Tip: You may even add some sweet corn to the salad.
Preparation Time: 25 – 30 minutes (excluding refrigeration time)
Serves: 8 – 10