The perfect soup to satisfy your hunger pangs and keep you warm this winter, this Roasted Tomato Soup is easy to make and delicious. Team it up with a dollop of cream and some freshly baked bread croutons to transform it into a mini meal.
- Tomatoes, quartered 1 kg
- Onions, peeled and sliced 2
- Garlic, chopped 4 pods
- Vegetable stock 2 cups
- Crushed pepper 2 tablespoons
- Oregano 2 teaspoons
- Salt To taste
- Olive oil 2 tablespoons
- Bread 2 – 3
- Dried basil 1 tablespoon
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil with salt, pepper, onion, garlic and 1 tsp oregano in a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes to this mix and toss to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. When it is ready, roast the coated tomatoes for 45 – 50 minutes or until they become soft.
- Remove from oven and allow them to cool slightly. Then put the tomatoes in a blender and pour the vegetable stock too.
- Blend until the soup is smooth and creamy. Then pour it into an open pan and place it on low heat to simmer.
- Meanwhile, cut up the bread slices into bite sized squares. Combine remaining olive oil with some salt, pepper, remaining oregano and basil in a large bowl.
- Coat the bread squares with this mix and roast them in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for about 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, ladle hot soup into bowls and add roasted bread croutons. Drop a dollop of fresh cream if desired and serve hot!
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Serves: 5 – 6