Sour, sweet, spicy, the Indian Raj Kachori is a unique combination of all these flavors. Yogurt, potatoes, veggies, pomegranates and more filled within a fried semolina (sooji) covering make this popular snack a favorite amongst all ages. Here’s the recipe to make this dish easily at home.
Ingredients for Kachori
- All-purpose flour (Maida) 1/2 cup
- Semolina (Sooji) 1/2 cup
- Salt Pinch
- Red chili powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Cooking Oil For deep frying
Ingredients for Filling
- Potatoes, boiled, peeled and chopped 1/2 cup
- Green lentils, boiled and sprouted 1/2 cup
- Chickpeas, tender boiled and drained 1/2 cup
- Pomegranate seeds 1/2 cup
- Black salt To taste
- Red chili powder To taste
- Roasted Cumin seeds powder 1 tablespoon
- Yogurt, beaten 1 cup
- Sweet tamarind chutney 1/2 cup
- Spicy green chutney 1/2 cup
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro) For garnish
- Combine all-purpose flour, semolina, pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder in a large bowl.
- Knead firm smooth dough with a little water.
- Put a pan or wok on medium heat with oil in it for deep frying.
- Take small portions of dough and roll them to lemon size rounds using your palms.
- Lightly grease your kitchen counter or a rolling board and then using a rolling pin, roll the dough rounds into thin circular poori like sheets.
- When the oil heats up nicely, drop one rolled sheet at a time in it gently and fry pressing it gently with a perforated spatula so as to help it to puff nicely.
- Once it is puffed turn the heat to low, flip it over and fry until done.
Tip: Keep pouring oil on the frying kachori to ensure it fries evenly and becomes crunchy. Fry until the kachori is golden brown from both sides.
- Line a plate with paper towels and transfer the fried kachori to it to drain the excess oil. Repeat the process for the rest of dough. Make sure you turn increase and decrease the heat as indicated. Let the kachoris rest for 30 minutes at least.
Tip: You may store fried kachoris in air tight jars at room temperature for few days and use them when required.
- Place a kachori on a serving dish and crack the upper surface with your thumb. Don’t apply too much pressure or you might break the entire kachori.
- Stuff few chopped boiled potato pieces, some boiled lentil sprouts, boiled chickpeas and some pomegranate seeds. Top with generous amount of beaten curd.
- Sprinkle black salt, red chili powder and roasted cumin seeds powder as per taste. Now add tamarind sweet chutney and spicy green chutney. Repeat the layers of fillings until the kachori is almost overflowing.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, chopped fresh coriander (cilantro). Serve immediately.
Tip: More chopped fruits like apple, banana or grapes can be added to the filling.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes