Pizzettas or little individual pizzas are nothing but tiny pizza bread squares or discs that can range in size as finger food. Pizzettas are typically prepared like a normal pizza using dough, sauce, cheese and topping. This is an easy Pizzetta recipe using flatbread unleavened dough and tomato sauce. They make for the perfect appetizers and may be served as a snack or light meal too.
Ingredients for Dough
- All purpose flour 2 cups
- Minced garlic 1 tablespoon
- Minced fresh parsley 1 tablespoon
- Minced fresh thyme 1 tablespoon
- Salt To taste
- Freshly ground black pepper 1 teaspoon
- Water As required
Ingredients for Sauce
- Peeled tomatoes, crushed, juices reserved 4 cups
- Onion, peeled and diced 1 large
- Garlic, peeled and thinly sliced or minced 3 or 4 cloves
- Minced or grated carrots 2 cups
- Minced fresh thyme 3 tablespoons
- Fresh basil, roughly chopped 1 cup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper To taste
- Water ½ cup
- Extra virgin olive oil 1/3 cup
Ingredients for Topping
- Tomatoes, washed and sliced thinly 2 medium
- Shredded or grated cheese 2 cups
- Mixed herbs, chopped 1 bunch
- Salt and freshly ground pepper To taste
- Olive oil 1 tablespoon
- Combine flour, garlic, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Pulse a few times to blend all ingredients well. Gradually add in water while running the blender at low speed until the dough is formed. The amount of water may be adjusted as per requirement. The dough should be moist but not wet. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for half an hour.
- Put a large saucepan over medium-high heat with oil in it.
- Add onion and garlic, stir and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are translucent but not browned.
- Add in carrots and ½ cup of water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in thyme; stir and cook for 5 minutes then stir in crushed tomatoes and their juice.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and stir in basil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes while stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook further for 5 to 10 minutes or until required consistency of sauce is attained. Check and adjust the seasoning and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven at 200 degree Celsius.
- Split the dough into 12 equal size balls. Roll out each ball into 1/8th of an inch and give each a shape of your choice. Arrange all pieces on a baking sheet and place the baking sheet in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Evenly spread a layer of tomato sauce and half of grated cheese on top surface of each flatbread. Arrange topping ingredients over tomato sauce layer and sprinkle with remaining half of cheese.
- Return to oven and bake further for 8 to 10 minutes or until pizzettas turn to a nice golden brown color and the cheese melts.
- Bring out of the oven and serve warm.
Preparation Time: 90 minutes (excluding dough refrigeration time)