Steam cooked all-purpose flour (maida) dumplings with delicious cottage cheese (paneer) filling, Momos are traditionally Tibetan. They are easy to make at home and can be made with a vegetarian or non vegetarian filling.
- All purpose flour (Maida) 1 cup
- Paneer (Cottage cheese), crumbled 1 cup
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro), chopped 1 tablespoon
- Red chili flakes 1/2 teaspoon
- Black pepper, crushed 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder Pinch
- Salt To taste
- Cooking Oil 2 tablespoon
- Sift maida, pinch of salt and baking powder together in a bowl through a sieve.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and knead to soft dough by adding little amount of water. Keep aside covered with a damp muslin cloth for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Put a saucepan on medium heat with remaining oil. Add crumbled cottage cheese, chopped green coriander, red chili flakes, crushed black pepper and salt.
- Stir-fry for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Make small balls of dough within your palms and using a rolling pin flatten them on a greased rolling board to circular sheets of 3 inches diameter.
- Put a spoonful of stuffing at the centre of each rolled dough sheet and lifting the sides of it make a pouch containing the prepared cottage cheese filling. Give a twist to the top. Repeat the process for all momos.
Tip: If you like you may add boiled peas or stir-fried chopped vegetables, garlic and onion slices to the momos filling.
- Heat the momos pan with water at bottom and place the stuffed and packed momos on all plates of pan at a distance of 2 inches from each other.
Tip: If you don’t have momos pan, use any perforated filter stand placed in a slightly larger vessel with water at bottom and putting momos on filter surface to steam cook. You can also use any other steaming method like in a pressure cooker with very little water and without whistle or in a microwave.
- Steam cook covered for 10 minutes and then replace the bottom momos holding plate with top plate. Stem cook for another 6 to 8 minutes or until the momos are cooked nicely.
- Lift cooked momos from the pan using tongs and place on serving platter. Serve hot with spicy red chili chutney.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes