Yummy mixture of kidney beans (Rajma) and vegetable salad filled inside slightly roasted hollow burger buns. This is a fabulous filling snack which can be served with evening tea or for breakfast. It’s a great way to feed salad to kids and is a unique lunch-box item too.
- Burger buns 2
- Kidney beans (Rajma), boiled 3 tablespoons
- Onion, finely chopped 1 small
- Tomato, finely chopped 1 small
- Cucumber, finely chopped 1/2 medium
- Salt To taste
- Garam masala 1/4 teaspoon
- Dried mango powder (Amchur) 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds 1/4 teaspoon
- Butter or Cooking Oil 2 – 1/2 teaspoons
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro), chopped For garnish
Note: To boil the Kidney beans soak them for 4 – 5 hours in water and then boil them in a pressure cooker. Make sure the beans are fully submerged in the water while boiling. You can even boil them in an open pan.
To check if they are done try to squash them within your fingers. If they squash easily, they are properly boiled.
- Pluck the burger bun from top and make a pit by scooping out the inner portion of bun with a sharp knife. Make sure that you do not scoop out or puncture the base and leave a sufficiently thick wall on all sides. After hollowing; the bun should resemble a ring with a base.
- Place a shallow non-stick frying pan with cooking oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough, add the cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Now add the dry spices and salt; stir to mix everything well.
- Add the boiled and drained kidney beans in to the pan and toss to coat them evenly with the spices. Turn off the heat.
- Combine chopped onions, tomatoes and cucumber in a mixing bowl.
- Place a clean non-stick shallow pan (or griddle/tava) over medium heat and melt half of the butter in it.
- Place both the burger buns with the hollow side up over the melted butter and let them roast slightly until the base turns light brown.
- Remove the buns from pan and melt the remaining butter in the pan.
- Now place the buns in the pan with the hollow side down and roast the rims of buns in a similar way. Do not press the buns.
- Remove from the pan when done and turn off the heat.
- Place the roasted burger buns on tray with the hollow side up. Fill the hollow cavity with the kidney beans mixture. Spread the salad mixture on top on both of the buns.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot!
Preparation Time: 25 minutes