It’s festival time and with lots of guests visiting your home these days, it’s the time to entertain them and serve some delicious dishes. Khandvi is a mouth watering traditional snack originated in Gujarat-India. It is a steam-cooked dish made with gram flour and curd / butter milk and requires no complicated cooking techniques. It can be served as evening snack or as a side dish with dinner as well.
Ingredients for khandvi
- Gram flour (Besan) 1 cup
- Curd (Yogurt) 1 cup
- Water 1-½ cup
- Turmeric powder ¼ teaspoon
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Lime juice ½ teaspoon
- Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (Hing) Pinch
- Cooking Oil Few drops
Ingredients for filling
- Carrot, grated 1
- Cabbage, shredded ½
- Cottage cheese (Paneer), grated 2 tablespoons
Ingredients for tempering
- Mustard seeds (Rai) ¼ teaspoon
- Green chilies, chopped 2
- Coriander, chopped 1 cup
- Sesame seeds (Til) 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves 10 – 15
- Cooking Oil 2 tablespoons
- Beat curd and water nicely in a deep bowl.
Tip: The curd should not be too sour and it should be beaten well in water. Buttermilk can be used instead of curd.
- Add gram flour in this mixture and mix thoroughly to ensure no lumps are formed. Add asafoetida, salt, ginger paste and turmeric in it.
- Take two flat surface steel plates or thalis and grease them with 2-3 drops of oil on the back (reverse) side of them.
- Now take a deep non-stick pan and pour the mixture in it and put it on high heat to cook.
- Once it starts boiling lower the heat and cook for 8-9 minutes stirring continuously so that it does not stick to the pan and no lumps are formed. It will start leaving the sides of the pan.
Tip: To check if the khandvi mixture is cooked or not put 1 teaspoon of it on a small greased thali. Spread and let it cool. Then try to peel to make the roll. If it peels easily, the batter is ready.
- Remove it from the heat, take a spoonful of it and pour on the greased plate.
- With the help of the blunt side of the knife or a spatula spread the mixture evenly on the plate in a thin layer and let it cool and set.
- When cooled, cut the khandvi on each thali length wise approximately in 2 inches wide pieces.
- Now spread the grated cottage cheese (paneer), grated carrot and shredded cabbage on it.
- Roll up each strip gently and place in the serving dish side by side.
- Now put oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Once it is heated put mustard seeds in and allow them to crackle.
- Add curry leaves and green chilies in it. Pour this tempering on the ready khandvi rolls.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and reserved paneer on the khandvi rolls and keep in the refrigerator until serving.
- When ready, remove from the refrigerator and let the khandvi stand for 10 minutes to soften up. Serve cold.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3