Jhalmudi is a light and delicious breakfast item for those who don’t like to have anything heavy in the morning. Very popular in Bengal, this item is eaten as a snack too. This is very easy and quick to make and looks very similar to Mumbai bhel with a slight difference of ingredients and flavor.
- Puffed rice 3 cups
- Cucumber, chopped 1/4 cup
- Potatoes, boiled and cut 1/4 cup
- Onion, chopped 1/4 cup
- Tomatoes, unseeded and chopped 1/4 cup
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro), chopped 2 tablespoons
- Green chili, chopped 1
- Peanuts, roasted/fried 2 tablespoons
- Dry coconut, chopped 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
- Mustard oil 1 tablespoon
- Mudi Masala 1 tablespoon
Ingredients for Mudi Masala
- Coriander seeds 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds 2 tablespoons
- Bay leaves (Tejpatta) 5
- Rock salt 1 teaspoon
- White pepper 1 tablespoon
- Dry mango powder (Amchur) 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
- Dry roast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a pan on low heat until they are aromatic and well roasted but not blackened.
- Dry roast bay leaves separately on low heat and crush them with hands.
- Put all the ingredients of mudi masala in grinder and grind into a fine powder; also add in crushed roasted bay leaves and keep aside.
Tip: You can make this mudi masala in advance and store in an air tight container to be used later when required.
- Take a big bowl and combine all of the ingredients in it including mudi masala and mustard oil, mix all the things well and serve immediately.
Tip: Serve it immediately after mixing as it might become soggy soon.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes