Fried cheese is a popular appetizer or entree in countries like Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey and more. Made by dipping cheese in a batter, coating with breadcrumbs and then deep frying, this recipe yields a snack no one can resist for long. You can serve these yummy Fried Cheese Bites with tea too!
- Cheese, cut into chunks 500 grams
- All purpose flour 1 cup
- Bread crumbs 1 ½ cups
- Garlic powder (optional) ½ teaspoon
- Eggs, lightly beaten 2
- Water ¼ cup
- Cooking Oil For deep frying
- Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy skillet / saucepan.
- Combine flour with garlic powder in a shallow wide bowl and mix well. Place breadcrumbs in another shallow wide bowl and keep aside.
- Combine beaten eggs with ½ cup of water and whisk lightly until well mixed.
- Roll each chunk of mozzarella cheese in flour mixture then dip in egg mixture and then dredge-and-roll in breadcrumbs so as to coat well. Keep aside on a plate or tray for a while. Repeat the process to prepare all cheese chunks.
- Slide coated cheese chunks in hot oil and fry in batches for half a minute or until golden brown. Drain out on paper towel lined tray using slotted spatula.
- Serve with marinara sauce or ketchup.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes