Traditional Italian vegetarian pizza with a thin crust, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and various toppings, this crunchy and delicious pizza is perfect to be served as a snack or appetizer or even as an anytime meal.
- Unbleached flour 3 cups + more for dusting
- Fine sea salt 2 teaspoons (8 gm) of active dry yeast,
- Active dry yeast 8 grams
- Olive oil 3 tablespoons
- Warm water ¼ cup + ¾ cup
- Prepared dough ball 1 (to make 12-inchflatbread pizza)
- Prepared marinara sauce ¾ cup (or ready-made tomato salsa sauce)
- Cheese, shredded 1 cup
- Tomatoes, thinly sliced 2 mediumFew fresh basil leaves,
- Few fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper and mixed Italian herbs for seasoning and garnish
- Combine yeast with ¼ cup of warm water and 2 tbsp of oil in a bowl, leave aside for 10 minutes or until the solution turns bubbly and frothy.
- Combine flour with 2 tsp of sea salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook and blend at low speed for a minute or until well mixed.
- Pour yeast mixture into flour mixture followed by an additional ¾ cup of warm water while mixing constantly at low speed. Mix for 3 to 4 minutes or until the dough pulls together.
- Turn the dough over a lightly floured surface and knead for 6 to 8 minutes using the heel of your hand. Knead by pushing outward and pulling the inside edge to create a smooth dough ball, free of stickiness.
- Grease a large bowl with remaining 1 tbsp of oil and transfer dough ball into it. Turn over the dough ball so as to coat well with oil from all sides. Then keep, covered with a clean cloth at a warm place for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until double in size.
- Divide the dough into 2 or 3 equal size balls so that when you pat them into pizza circles they should be thin and not thick. Wrap each ball individually with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the prepared flatbread uncooked crust on the prepared baking sheet and spread marinara sauce all over leaving 1 inch from edges.
- Spread cheese over tomato sauce and finally arrange tomato slices and basil leaves on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 – 15 minutes or until pizza is golden brown and the cheese has melted and is bubbling.
- Bring out of the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and mixed Italian herbs. Cut into slices using a pizza cutter and serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes (excluding refrigeration time)