You can get it ready-made in a can but nothing can beat this homemade fresh and smooth rich soup with the distinct flavor of mushrooms. Classified as comfort food, it can also be served with a cheese and cream topping and aptly be called Mushroom Cappuccino.
- Button mushrooms, diced 400 grams
- Leeks, chopped 2
- Celery stalks, chopped 2
- All-purpose flour 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable broth 6 cups
- Thick cream 1/2 cup
- Half and half (half milk – half buttermilk) 1 cup
- Dried thyme 1 teaspoon
- Crushed white pepper For seasoning
- Crushed black pepper For garnish
- Sugar (optional) 1 teaspoon
- Salt To taste
- Butter 1 tablespoon
- Melt butter in a pan on medium heat. Add leeks and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped celery and cook further for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Now add the flour, stir to mix everything and cook for 3 – 4 minutes more.
- Add diced mushrooms and season with salt. Stir and cook covered for about 10 minutes.
- Next add the dried thyme, white pepper and sugar (if using). Stir to mix everything well.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and let it come to a boil. When it starts boiling, check the salt and add if required.
- Lower the flame and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture come to room temperature. Then puree everything in a blender.
- Pour the soup back to the pan and place it on low heat.
- Add cream and half and half and let the soup simmer for a few minutes.
- Turn off the flame and ladle the soup into serving bowls or dishes.
- Garnish with crushed black pepper and serve hot!
Preparation Time: 1 hour