These popcorn balls have enough ingredients in them to make them a complete filling snack. Dried cranberries, maple syrup, sugar, butter and popcorn – all yummy, easily available, and combined into one delicious treat that’s easy to make. These popcorn balls make for sweet bites that are perfect to be served to guests at tea or to kids at a small informal gathering.
- Unsalted corn kernels 3 cups
- Maple syrup ½ cup
- Cranberries, dried 1 cup
- Brown sugar ½ cup
- Butter 3 tablespoons
- Vegetable Oil 1 tablespoon
- Pop the corn in microwave or in a deep pan coated with vegetable oil over heat (avoid using olive oil to pop the corn). The pan should be covered with a lid and remove the pan from stove only when popping slows down or pan is full. Remove any un-popped kernels.
- In a small pan, mix the maple syrup and brown sugar.
- Add butter to the pan and place it on medium heat.
- Cook until the butter melts and the mixture comes to a boil. Stir frequently until the mixture starts to thicken slightly. Remove from heat.
- In a serving bowl combine the popcorn and dried cranberries.
- Pour the maple syrup mixture over the popcorn and cranberries and mix to coat evenly. Let it sit for some time to cool slightly.
- With moist cold hands shape the cooled popcorn mixture into small balls pressing firmly to hold the shape.
- Place the balls on a tray lined with wax paper and let them sit for a couple of hours to harden. Serve when done.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes (hardening time not counted)
Serves: 12 – 15 balls