Wholesome chicken and veggies in a thick brown spicy soup, Chicken Hot & Sour soup can easily be found in restaurants around the world. It is cooked with many twists and is quite easy to make at home.
- Boneless chicken 200 grams
(Boiled and cut into chunks or strips)
- Mushrooms, sliced 100 grams
- Carrots, cut into strips and boiled 1/2 cup
- Ginger, grated 1 tablespoon
- Garlic, minced 1 tablespoon
- Soya sauce 1 tablespoon
- Szechuan sauce 1 tablespoon
(Readymade or homemade)
- Sesame oil 1 tablespoon
- Vinegar (preferably white) 2 tablespoons
- Red chili flakes 1 teaspoon
- Corn flour, dissolved in 1/2 cup water 2 tablespoons
- Egg, beaten 1
- Chicken stock 4 cups
- Water 1 cup
- Olive oil 1 tablespoon
- Take chicken pieces or strips in a bowl and drizzle sesame oil on them; toss to coat well and keep aside.
- Put a deep saucepan with olive oil on medium heat and when it heats up, add grated ginger and mince garlic.
- Sauté for a minute and then pour the chicken stock and one cup of water in the saucepan. Stir to mix everything and bring it to boil on high heat.
- Now add the chicken, carrot and mushrooms; stir to mix and then lower the heat.
Tip: You may add chopped spring onions whites while cooking the soup and garnish it with chopped greens of spring onions.
- Add in soya sauce, Szechuan sauce and red chili flakes; stir and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar and pour the corn flour solution into simmering soup while stirring constantly.
- Now pour in the beaten egg slowly while stirring continuously.
- Check and adjust the seasonings if required then turn of the heat and ladle soup into serving bowls.
- Serve hot California style Chinese hot and sour chicken soup and enjoy.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes