Chicken bon chon is originally a Korean cuisine but nowadays has become a popular delicacy to be served as one of the starters at Indian restaurants at lavish parties too. Bon chon is a Korean sauce with cucumber flavor hence this awesome cuisine has a unique fragrance making it popular among everyone.
- Chicken leg pieces 400 grams
- Spring onions, chopped ½ cup
- Cucumber, chopped 1 cup
- Ginger paste 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri red chili powder 2 teaspoons
- Dry whole red chilies, broken roughly 2
- Black pepper powder ½ teaspoon
- Green cardamoms 2
- White sesame seeds ½ teaspoon
- Poppy seeds ½ teaspoon
- Sugar ½ teaspoon
- Lemon juice 1 tablespoon
- Red vinegar 1 teaspoon
- Soya sauce 1 teaspoon
- Red food color (optional) Pinch
- Salt To taste
- Butter 1 tablespoon
- Oil To grease baking tray
Note: Deseed and soak the dry red chilies in water for an hour before starting to cook.
You may use boneless chicken pieces or chicken wings too for this recipe
- Take chicken leg pieces in a bowl or on a platter and add ginger paste, garlic paste, turmeric powder, black pepper powder, kashmiri red chili powder, little salt, butter and lemon juice.
- Mix nicely to spread and coat the pieces from all sides with marinade. Keep in refrigerator for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Take a blender and put chopped cucumber, broken and soaked whole red chilies, green cardamoms, white sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and sugar into. Grind all together to a thin paste adding little water.
- Pour out the paste in a bowl. Add red vinegar and soya sauce to it and mix nicely. This is the bon chon or bon bon sauce ready to use. Add very little red food color if you like so.
- Preheat oven to 380 degree Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Take out the marinated chicken and coat all the pieces with bon chon sauce from all over and place them on the greased baking tray.
- Put the tray in preheated oven and bake for 12 minutes first then open up and flip the pieces to other side. Brush with residuals of bon chon sauce and bake for 6 – 8 minutes more or until the chicken legs are cooked well.
- Transfer chicken bon chon on a serving platter and serve hot with green chutney.
Tip: You may grill chicken legs in a grilling pan also or even deep fry them but wrap them in bread crumbs before deep frying.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes