Mac & Cheese is a meal of choice in the US and other non-Asian countries. Made with macaroni, loads of cheese and tomato puree baked to perfection, this is one dish that can be had for lunch, dinner or just as a heavy snack during the day. Perfect to be served for kids’ party or informal parties, it is extremely easy to make at home.
- Macaroni, boiled & drained 2 cups
- Onion, chopped 2 tablespoons
- Tomato puree ½ cup
- Cheese, grated 2 tablespoons
- Bread crumbs 1 tablespoon
- Tomato ketchup 2 tablespoons
- Oregano ½ teaspoon
- White sauce 2 tablespoons (recipe below)
- Salt To taste
- Chili flakes 1 teaspoon
- Cooking Oil 1 tablespoon
Ingredients for White Sauce
- Put a frying pan on heat to make white sauce.
- Put butter in it and as it melts add maida. Stir-fry on low heat for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add milk to it and stir continuously to avoid lumps formation.
- Cook on low heat until it comes to sauce consistency, add salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Put a wok on heat with oil in it; add onion and stir-fry till translucent.
- Pour tomato puree and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add salt, oregano and tomato ketchup.
- Mix everything and put white sauce and macaroni in it. Toss well.
- Remove from the heat and put in ovenproof dish.
- Spread a layer of crumbs on it and above it spread the grated cheese.
- Put the dish in preheated oven at 200 degree Celsius for 20 minutes so that cheese melts and forms a crust.
- Bring out of the oven and serve hot.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3