American-French onion soup originated in France and was adopted by Americans with their own peculiar twists hence, giving it its name. It is great to be served as a complete meal in itself. It is easy to make at home but needs patience and a little longer than other soups to get it right.
- Onions, diced into thin slices 6 medium
- All-purpose flour (Maida) 3 tablespoons
- Vegetable broth 6 cups
- Lime juice (optional) 1 tablespoon
- Butter 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder (optional) Pinch
- Salt To taste
- Crushed black pepper For seasoning
- Bread slices, toasted 4
- Cheese, grated 2 cups
- Put a saucepan on medium heat with butter and oil in it. Once the butter melts add diced onions into it.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and sauté while stirring regularly so that all the onion slices are coated with butter and oil.
- Stir-fry the onions until they are caramelized and you can smell their flavor. It may take 30 to 35 minutes.
Tip: Caramelize onions carefully, don’t leave them aloof and keep on stirring otherwise they may get burnt. Also keep on scrapping the caramel from bottom of the pan regularly. This is the secret of this recipe.
- Sprinkle the flour over onions and mix well, cook for few minutes more.
- Pour in 6 cups of vegetable broth, bring it to a boil and then lower the heat to medium-low.
- Let it simmer for 25 or 30 minutes more; the longer it simmers, the better will be the results. Add splash of water if required.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F or 220 degrees C.
- Season with salt, pinch of red chili powder and pepper, also add lemon juice then turn the heat off.
- Pour the soup into ovenproof serving bowls up to ¾ of their volume.
- Put a slice of toasted bread on top of soup in each bowl and cover them with generous amount of grated cheese.
- Place the bowls on a baking tray and place in the preheated oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Tip: Place the soup bowls at least 6 to 8 inches below heat in the oven otherwise the soup may splash out of the bowls.
- Remove from oven and serve hot American French onion soup.
Preparation Time: 1 hour 30 minutes