7 Layer Salad is an American dish consisting of seven different colourful layers of food items. It is served in a glass bowl so that all the layers are visible. The salad is topped with a layer of mayonnaise or sour cream sprinkled with grated cheese. This dish makes for the perfect salad during formal dinners or cocktail parties.
- Frozen peas, thawed 1 cup
- Lettuce, chopped 1 cup
- Carrots, peeled and grated 2
- Spring Onions, diced 1 cup
- Celery Stalks, chopped ½ cup
- Red Bell Pepper, chopped 1 cup
- Mayonnaise 1 cup
- Parmesan or Cheddar Cheese, grated 1 cup
- Salt To taste
- Lemon Juice 1 – 2 tablespoons
- Place lettuce in a big glass serving bowl covering its bottom.
- Now spread layers of carrot, bell pepper, onion, celery and peas one by one. Reserve some diced spring onions for garnish.
- Combine the salt and lemon juice in a small bowl and drizzle it evenly on the top of the salad. Tap the bowl gently from all sides to allow the salted lemon juice to seep in.
- Spread a layer of mayonnaise over the top and cover it with grated cheese edge to edge of the bowl.
- Spread a layer of diced spring onions on top.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving so that all the flavours get blended.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3 – 4