7 Layer Salad is an American dish consisting of seven different colourful layers of food items. It is served in a glass bowl so that all the layers are visible. The salad is topped with a layer of mayonnaise or sour cream sprinkled with grated cheese. This dish makes for the perfect salad during formal dinners or cocktail parties.
Ingredients for 7 Layer Salad
- 1 cup Frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup Lettuce, chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cup Spring Onions, diced
- ½ cup Celery Stalks, chopped
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Parmesan or Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Salt, To taste
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Place lettuce in a big glass serving bowl covering its bottom.
- Now spread layers of carrot, bell pepper, onion, celery and peas one by one. Reserve some diced spring onions for garnish.
- Combine the salt and lemon juice in a small bowl and drizzle it evenly on the top of the salad. Tap the bowl gently from all sides to allow the salted lemon juice to seep in.
- Spread a layer of mayonnaise over the top and cover it with grated cheese edge to edge of the bowl.
- Spread a layer of diced spring onions on top.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving so that all the flavours get blended.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 3 – 4