Classic red sauce pasta; soft boiled penne pasta in a tomato-garlic-red chili flake sauce cooked in olive oil, Pasta Arrabiata is a yummy dish that can be had for lunch or as a snack during the day. Team it up with toasted bread to transform it into a light dinner option.
- Penne pasta 1-1/2 cups
- Tomatoes 3 medium
- Garlic cloves, minced or chopped 4
- Onion 1 small
- Red Chili flakes 1/2 teaspoon
- Oregano 1/4 teaspoon
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Tomato ketchup 2 teaspoons
- Salt To taste
- Black Pepper To taste
- Olive Oil 1 tablespoon
- Water 1/2 cup
- Cheese, grated (optional) For garnish
- Boil the pasta to desired softness. Drain and keep aside. Drizzle a few drop of oil on the pasta and toss it with your hands to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- Boil the tomatoes in water for 2 – 3 minutes. Cool them and then peel off their skin. Puree them into a fine paste using minimum water.
- Put a wok or deep frying pan on medium heat with olive oil in it.
- Once the oil heats up, add the garlic and then the onion.
- Sauté both until the garlic is aromatic and the onion becomes golden brown.
- Now pour in the tomato puree and stir. Cook for a few minutes and then allow the sauce to come to a boil. Let it boil for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and pour in water and stir. Again let the sauce come to a boil and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar and red chili flakes to the sauce and stir.
- Once the sugar dissolves add the tomato ketchup and stir.
- As soon as the sauce becomes slightly thick, add the boiled pasta to the wok or pan and toss it to coat nicely with the sauce.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle oregano and grated cheese. Serve hot!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3