Give your usual lunch the Mexican touch with this easy red rice recipe. Add in any veggies you like; use mushrooms, corn, zucchini and other exotic elements too and give the recipe your own twist. This is one rice dish that doesn’t need accompanying gravy. Perfect to be served for parties as well.
- Pre-cooked rice (boiled or steamed) 2 – 3 cups
- Onion, sliced thin and long 1 large
- Tomatoes, pureed 2 – 3 medium
- Sweet corn ½ cup
- Capsicum, sliced thin and long ½ large
- Carrot, grated or julienned ½ large
- Red Kidney Beans (rajma), boiled ½ cup
- Salt To taste
- Green chilies, chopped 2 small
- Lemon juice 2 teaspoons
- Cooking oil 1 tablespoon
- Put a deep frying pan over medium heat with oil in it.
- As soon as the oil heats up add the sliced onions and chopped green chilies and sauté until the onions become tender.
- Add the sliced capsicum and sauté until tender.
- Add the grated carrot and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Also add the corn and stir.
- Now add the tomato puree. Season with salt and stir everything and reduce the heat. Let the mixture simmer for a couple of minutes until the tomato puree is almost completely absorbed.
- Add the boiled kidney beans (rajma) and stir gently.
- Finally add the boiled / steamed rice and give everything a gentle toss such that the mixture coats the rice completely. The rice will turn to a beautiful red color.
- Turn off the heat, sprinkle lemon juice over the rice and give it a final toss.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh chopped coriander if desired. Serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes (excluding time to boil rice)
Serves: 2 – 3