Sweet Corn and vegetables in a delicious gravy that’s sweet and tangy, this dish is bound to tickle your taste buds. And the best part is, it’s ready in less than half an hour. If you have soya, chili and vinegar at home, you can toss up this yummy main course gravy for an awesome Indo-Chinese meal in the comfort of your home.
- Sweet Corn 1/2 cup
- Onion, cut into large pieces 1 medium
- Garlic, finely chopped 2 – 3 cloves
- Capsicum, cut into large pieces 1 medium
- Carrot, cut into large pieces 1 medium
- Salt To taste
- Black pepper powder Pinch
- Soya Sauce 1½ teaspoons
- Green chili sauce 1 teaspoon
- Vinegar 2 teaspoons
- Tomato ketchup 1 teaspoon
- Sugar (optional) 1 – 2 teaspoons
- Corn flour 1 teaspoon
- Water 3½ cups
- Cooking Oil 1 tablespoon
- Put a wok or deep frying pan over medium heat and add the oil in it.
- As soon as the oil heats up, throw in the garlic and stir-fry until aromatic.
- Then add the onions. Stir-fry until translucent.
- Add the carrot, stir and reduce the heat. Cover the pan with a lid and let the veggies get slightly tender.
- Now add the capsicum, sprinkle the salt, stir and cover the lid again. Let everything cook until the carrot and capsicum are cooked and tender but aren’t mashy.
Tip: Indo-Chinese food like this typically contains slightly crunchy veggies so don’t overcook them to the point where they get mashed up.
- Sprinkle the pepper and add all the sauces. Stir everything and let it cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile dissolve the corn flour in half cup water.
- Pour in 3 cups water in the pan, stir everything and increase the heat to medium. Let it come to a boil.
- Now add the dissolved corn flour while stirring continuously. Let the gravy boil and cook to thickness.
- Add the sweet corn and check if the gravy is sweet enough. If it needs more sweetness, add sugar and stir.
- Once the gravy has boiled nicely, attained a nice brown color and has become thick, turn off the heat.
- Pour into serving dish and serve hot with choice of Indo-Chinese dish (Suggested accompaniment – Vegetable Fried Rice).
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3