Black eyed peas are a variety of beans high in carbohydrates. They have a moderate amount of proteins and are low in fat. This is a very common and popular dish of Indian meal menu. To add taste to it a good amount of onions, tomatoes and spices are added. It can be transformed into a salad as well.
- Black eyed peas, soaked for 3-4 hours (lobia) ¾ cup
- Onion, grated or ground 1
- Green chili, finely chopped 1
- Ginger, chopped 1 teaspoon
- Garlic, chopped ½ teaspoon
- Tomatoes, pureed 2
- Cumin seeds ¼ teaspoon
- Salt To taste
- Turmeric powder ½ teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala ½ teaspoon
- Red chili powder ¼ teaspoon
- Cooking oil 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Coriander, chopped 1 teaspoon
- Put soaked black eyed peas in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile place a pan on heat and put oil in it.
- Add cumin seeds. When they start to crackle add minced onion to it.
- Stir fry for a few minutes, then add ginger and garlic and cook till the onions turn brown.
- Add tomatoes to the onions and stir fry for a few more minutes.
- Add dry spices and fry till the tempering leaves oil.
- Turn off the heat and open the lid of the cooker carefully if all the steam has escaped.
- Add ready tempering to the boiled black eyed peas and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garam masala and chopped coriander. If the gravy seems too thick, add some water and let the gravy boil for 3 – 4 minutes more.
- Serve hot with chapatti or parantha.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes