Colourful, flavourful and aromatic – those are the three beautiful aspects of this really simple yet supremely attractive dish. Assorted bell peppers filled with a tasteful stuffing and baked to perfection. The stuffing can be anything you like – rice, cottage cheese, potatoes or even meat; this is one dish that is just as appealing in the vegetarian and non-vegetarian form. Perfect party main course item!
- Bell Peppers (Red, Yellow & Green) 4 – 6, medium
- Cottage Cheese, crumbled 200 grams
- Onions, finely chopped 2 medium
- Tomatoes, seeded and chopped 2 medium
- Cabbage, finely shredded ½ cup
- Green chilies, finely chopped 3 – 4 small
- Zucchini, chopped (optional) 1 medium
- Salt To taste
- Turmeric Powder (optional) ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper powder To taste
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala ½ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil 1 – 2 tablespoons
- Remove the tops of the bell peppers and remove the seeds taking care not to cut or puncture the sides. Wash thoroughly and keep aside.
- Place a wok or deep frying pan over medium heat and pour the oil in it.
- Once the oil heats up add the chopped onions and stir-fry them until they become soft and translucent. Reduce heat if needed.
Tip: You may add a little ginger-garlic paste before frying the onions to give the dish more flavor. Or you could just fry some fresh chopped ginger and garlic along with the onions.
- Add the chopped green chilies and stir-fry for a few seconds. Then add the chopped cabbage and stir.
- Cover the pan or wok and cook until the cabbage softens slightly. Then add the chopped zucchini. Stir and cover the pan again for a few minutes.
- Once the veggies are all slightly tender, add the chopped tomatoes. Stir everything and add the salt. Stir again and cover the pan until the veggies become totally soft and cooked.
- Add all other spices and stir. After a few seconds, add the crumbled cottage cheese.
- Toss and mix to combine all flavors together and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F or 220 degrees C.
- Ensure the bell peppers are dry and then fill the stuffing in them to the brim. Then place them in a baking dish.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until you can see the outer shells of the pepper turn wrinkly and golden.
- Remove from oven and serve as they are or transfer them to a serving platter and serve hot.
Tip: You may sprinkle some grated cheese on top before serving.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Serves: 3 – 4