Traditionally Italian, Lasagna is a typical main course item that’s filling and flavorful. The combination of exotic veggies, sauces and Lasagna noodles is hearty enough to make a complete meal in itself. This dish is a perfect fit for formal get-togethers with lots of guests or perfect for a pot lunch contribution.
- Lasagna noodles, cooked as per packet instructions 1 pack
- Onion, chopped 1 small
- Tomatoes, chopped 2 medium
- Tomatoes, pureed 1 cup
- Zucchini, chopped 2
- Yellow squash, chopped 2
- Garlic cloves, minced 2
- Red or Green bell pepper, diced 1
- Basil 1/4 cup
- Cottage cheese, crumbled 1 cup
- Cheese (Parmesan, Mozzarella or similar) 2 cups
- Freshly ground black pepper For seasoning
- Salt To taste
- Cooking oil 2 tablespoons
- Oil or nonstick cooking spray To grease baking dish
Note: You can also use flat pasta strips in place of lasagna noodles.
- Put a saucepan on medium heat with oil in it. Once the oil is hot, add chopped onion, stir and sauté for 3 – 4 minutes or until translucent.
- Then add in minced garlic and sauté further for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped zucchini, squash and bell pepper into the pan, stir and cook for 2 – 3 minutes and then add in both chopped and pureed tomatoes.
Tip: You can use any veggies like broccoli and spinach as per available. You can even add sautéed mushrooms to this dish.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, stir and cook for 6 – 8 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
- Add in basil leaves, stir and turn off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- To assemble, lightly grease a deep baking dish and spread boiled and drained lasagna noodles to cover the base nicely.
- Spread a layer of cooked vegetables with the sauce and then cover this layer with crumbled cottage cheese and other cheese. Repeat to create as many layers as you like in the same pattern.
- Finally top with remaining grated cheese. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 10 or 15 minutes or until the cheese surface is slightly browned and crispy.
- Bring out of the oven, cut into pieces and serve hot.
Preparation Time: 80 minutes