Have you ever had Beetroot in a form other than salad or juice? If not, you’ll find this recipe for Spiced Beetroot (Tamil style Beetroot Poriyal) to be a refreshing change. Sauteed beetroot tossed in mild-strong spices, this dish is a specialty in South India. Typically served with a traditional South Indian thali, this is a main course dish that’s easy to prepare and is delicious!
- Beetroot, finely chopped 2 medium or 1 large
- Dried red chilies 4-5
- Curry leaves 3-4 twigs
- Mustard seeds 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil 2 tablespoons
- Red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
- Salt To taste
- In a shallow frying pan heat the oil and add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds start to sputter, add dried red chilies (cut in half if they are too big in size), and curry leaves.
- Roast for 1 minute on medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder and roast for another minute
- Add beetroot and 1/2 cup water
- Stir well and cover with lid. Stir intermittently
- Cook until beetroot is cooked (about 20-25 mins)
- Add salt and cook while open (remove lid) until water evaporates
- Serve hot with roti or as a side dish with rice-gravy.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 – 5