Okra cooked in an onion and spice blend, Bhindi do pyaza is one of the most liked versions of bhindi (okra). Made in almost all homes in north India, especially in Punjab, this is an easy and quick to make dish. It’s a favorite among kids as well.
Ingredients for Bhindi Do Pyaza
- 250 grams Bhindi (Okra)
- 2 medium Onions, sliced long or chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Amchur
- Salt, To taste
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- Wash the bhindi (okra) 2 – 3 times with water and keep in a strainer to drain.
- Wipe and dry them with a clean kitchen cloth.
Tip: You must wipe and dry the bhindi completely before cutting otherwise it will become sticky.
- Chop off heads and tails and cut the lady fingers in small round pieces.
- Place a pan on medium heat with half the oil in it.
- Add cumin seeds and when they start crackling, add bhindi.
- Stir fry on medium heat till it becomes soft. Cook bhindi uncovered to prevent it from getting sticky.
- Add half of the dry spices stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the bhindi in a bowl.
- Put the same pan on medium heat again with rest of oil in it.
- Add chopped onions in it, stir fry till golden brown. Add salt and rest of the spices.
- Now add bhindi also into the onion pan and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot with roti, chapati or parantha.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes