Egg Benedict is one of the most popular and healthy breakfasts of western world. Some people say Eggs Benedict are English cuisine but the origin of this healthy recipe belongs to United States by Chef Charles Ranhofer in 1860. He named it as Eggs a’ la Benedict in his cook book published in 1894. Eggs benedict are basically poached eggs over cooked ham or salami on English muffins covered with hollandaise sauce.
- Eggs 4
- Chicken salami 2 slices
- English muffins 2
- Melted butter ½ cup or more if you like
- White vinegar 2 teaspoons
- Lemon juice 2 teaspoons
- Worcestershire sauce (optional) 2 teaspoons
- Washed and chopped spinach leaves 2 tablespoons
- Chopped Cilantro For garnish
- Freshly Ground black pepper For seasoning
- Salt To taste
- Water As required
- Prepare a double boiler. Crack 2 eggs and put the yolk only in the the top bowl. Add lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce also and brisk to mix well.
- Add melted butter slowly spoon by spoon while stirring the egg yolk continuously. Add little warm water if required to attain the pouring consistency. This is hollandaise sauce, keep it aside.
- Put another pan on heat with 2 inches water in it to simmer, don’t let it boil. Add vinegar and spin the water gently in one direction with a spatula.
- Break the remaining eggs one by one in a small bowl. Add in half of remaining egg whites used in making of hollandaise and pour into the simmering and spinning water gently.
- Let it cook for 2 ½ to 3 minutes. The whites will poach around yolks covering them since rotating in one direction. When poached nicely pick up the poached egg with a perforated spatula and place over a paper towel so as to remove extra water from it.
- Heat a griddle plate on medium heat and put chopped spinach leaves on it, toss it for 2 minutes and keep it aside.
- Put chicken salami slices on hot griddle plate and cook for a minute from both sides, keep aside for a while.
- Cut the muffins into halves and toast on hot griddle from cut side.
- Place the cut slice on the serving platter, put the roasted chicken salami slices, chopped spinach leaves and poached egg over it. Pour the hollandaise sauce on it, sprinkle little salt and crushed black pepper.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes