Bisi Bela Bath is a dish from Karnataka cuisine that makes for a complete delicious meal with rice, lentils and vegetables. It is a filling dish that can be served for breakfast or lunch. You may use any vegetables in this recipe as per availability. This is the recipe for homemade Bisi Bela Bath Masala. Though this masala is available in the market, making it at home gives it an authentic touch.
Ingredients for Bisi Bela Bath Masala
- ½ cup Coriander Seeds
- 15 Dry Red Chilies
- 1.5 inch Cinnamon stick
- 4 Cloves
- ¼ cup Chana Dal
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1 tablespoon Poppy seeds / Khus Khus
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 3 Cardamom
- ½ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
- 15 Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida powder (Hing)
- ½ cup Grated coconut
- Place a large flat skillet on high heat. Once it heats up nicely, lower the heat to medium.
- Immediately add Coriander seeds, dry red chili, cinnamon, cloves, chana dal, cumin seeds, urad dal, poppy seeds, black pepper, cardamom, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida chunk.
- Dry roast till all the spices are roasted well. Make sure none of the spices get burnt.
- Remove this on a flat plate and let the mixture cool.
- Add grated coconut to the skillet and saute on medium heat till the coconut turns light brown in color.
- Add the roasted grated coconut to the roasted spices. Let the mixture cool down to room temperature.
- Once the mixture cools to room temperature, grind it to a smooth mixture.
Tip: Store the masala in an air tight container and refrigerate the Masala once it cools down to room temperature If using Asafoetida powder, after grinding all the spices, mix asafoetida powder and combine well. Asafoetida powder need not be roasted
Preparation Time: 25 minutes