Pancakes with apples & carrots – what a yummy idea! Pancakes are filling and quick to prepare and that makes them the ideal breakfast dish. And the best part about them is, you can make them sweet or savory with choice of ingredients and topping. The original recipe for these pancakes had a maple cream cheese topping, but I tried them without it and they were gorgeous. You can even use simple maple syrup as topping if you like.
Ingredients for Apple & Carrot Pancakes
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Cloves
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1-1/4 cup Milk
- 1 cup Carrot, grated
- 1 cup Apple, grated
- Heat a flat non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices in a large bowl.
- Beat the egg, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl with a whisk until smooth.
- Add the milk and whisk again.
- Add the carrots and apples to the flour mixture, pour the wet ingredients on top and mix until just combined.
- Grease the heated pan with butter or baking spray.
- Scoop the pancake batter in 1/4 cup measurements onto the pan, spread into a circle and let cook for about 2-3 minutes until edges set and bubbles start to appear. Flip carefully and cook another 1 minute on the other side.
- When done, transfer to a serving plate and serve warm with choice of topping.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes