When you’re craving for sweet and there’s nothing ready to eat available, this is one dessert that will definitely satisfy your craving. Plus, it’s super easy to make. It can also be enhanced in a number of ways to be served to guests at feasts. Deep fried bread slices soaked up in sugar syrup or condensed milk and garnished with dry fruits, you’ll instantly fall in love with this Shahi Toast recipe.
- Bread Slices, cut into diagonal halves 8 – 10
- Cooking Oil For deep frying
- Sugar Syrup or Milkmaid 5 – 6 tablespoons
- Chopped Almonds ½ cup
- Put a wok or deep frying pan with cooking oil over high heat.
- As soon as the oil heats up, lower the heat and fry the cut bread slices to a deep brown color on both sides.
- Remove from oil when done and keep on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the extra oil.
- When the fried bread slices have cooled slightly, dip them in sugar solution for a couple of seconds on both sides. You can also substitute sugar solution with readymade condensed milk like Milkmaid. Do not add extra sugar in this case since Milkmaid is already sweet.
Note: Sugar solution can be easily made at home by mixing 1 part water and 2 parts sugar and boiling for 10 minutes till a 1-string consistency is achieved.
- Arrange the soaked bread slices in a serving dish and pour any remaining sugar solution or milkmaid over them. Allow them to stand for about 10 minutes to soak up the sweetness.
- Just before serving, garnish with chopped almonds and any other dry fruits of choice.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 3 – 4