Giving the traditional sooji halwa a tangy twist, Pineapple Sheera is a delicious halwa with pineapple flavor and chunks. Easy to make at home, this fruity halwa is loved by kids and adults alike.
- Pineapple pieces 1-1/2 cups
- Sooji (Semolina) 1 cup
- Sugar 1 cup
- Ghee 6 – 7 tablespoons
- Water 2 cups
- Kesar (Saffron) (optional) Few strings
- Dry Fruits of choice 1/3 cup
(Almonds, Raisins, Cashew nuts)
- Place a wok (kadhai) or deep frying pan on medium heat and add the ghee to it.
- Once the ghee melts, add the sooji and roast it to a golden brown color while stirring continuously.
- Add the pineapple pieces and stir-cook for a few minutes.
- Also add saffron strings if using.
- Lower the heat and pour in the water carefully while stirring continuously.
Tip: Always pour in the water slowly to avoid the extremely hot sooji and ghee from splashing onto your hands.
Stir continuously while pouring water into the sheera to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Let the sheera cook for about a minute on low heat and then increase the heat to medium.
- Add the sugar and mix nicely.
- Let the sheera cook until all the water is absorbed into it and it starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and add the dry fruits. Mix and transfer it to a serving dish. Serve hot!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3 – 4