The easiest way to cheer up is through a cookie… Well, at least for me! They’re easy to make, deliciously crunchy and a small sugar shot that lifts the spirit. But give the usual cookie a romantic twist this Valentine’s by baking it in heart-shape and coloring it pink. Your loved one will surely get bowled over with these little cuties.
- Unsalted butter, softened 250 grams
- Sugar, ground fine ¾ cups
- Vanilla extract 2 teaspoons
- Egg yolk 1
- Plain flour, sifted 2-¼ cups
- Icing sugar, sifted 1 cup
- Water 1 tablespoon
- Pink food color A few drops
- Beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer until the mixture becomes pale and creamy.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract to this mixture and beat again to mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F.
- Add the flour to the batter and knead to soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and cover each with plastic sheet/wrap. Place these in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to allow the dough to harden up a bit.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and uncover. Spread out a non-sticking baking paper on your kitchen counter and place one portion to the dough on it.
- Place another non-stick baking powder on top and then roll the dough out into approx 5mm thick sheet.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter cut out as many cookies from the rolled out dough as possible.
- Line the baking tray with a clean baking paper and place the cookies on it. Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies turn light brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow cooling on wire racks.
- Combine the icing sugar, water and pink food color in a bowl. Spread it over the cookies. Serve!
Preparation Time: 50 minutes
Serves: 15 – 16 cookies