Giving a unique twist to Cornbread, this pudding dessert is juicy, sweet and easy to make. 5 ingredients, an oven and a sweet tooth is all you need to enjoy this delightful recipe any day, any time!
- Homemade or readymade Cornbread 700 grams
- Maple syrup, plus more for serving 1/2 cup
- Half-and-half (1/2 milk – ½ buttermilk) 3 cups
- Eggs 4 large
- Salt 1/4 teaspoon
- Cut the cornbread into 1-inch cubes.
Note: If making the cornbread at home, prepare it as per package instructions, cool it and then cut. Cornbread is crumbly bread baked from cornmeal or fresh ground corn.
Tip: You can also use any other crumbly bread or muffin that you like for this recipe.
- Set the oven for preheating to 300 degrees.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a large bowl and add the half-and-half, salt and maple syrup to it.
- Stir to combine everything nicely and then add the cornbread cubes to this mixture. Stir lightly.
- Let the cornbread sit in the maple syrup mixture for about 5 minutes to allow it to absorb the mixture and become soft. After 5 minutes the bread will break into small crumb like pieces when you stir.
- Transfer this mixture into a baking dish and flatten the surface with a spatula.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 40 – 50 minutes or until the pudding is fully baked.
Tip: To check if something has baked properly, insert a toothpick in its centre and it should come out clean.
- Let the pudding cool slightly and then divide it into serving cups. Drizzle maple syrup on top and serve warm.
Preparation Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes