Coffee jelly is one of the most popular summer time Japanese sweet treats which in fact consists of coffee flavoured jelly cubes served in creamy dairy base. The base may be frozen whipped cream or coffee ice cream. Great to be served as an after meal dessert instead of hot coffee during summers.
- Unflavoured gelatin 10 grams
- Hot water 2 tablespoons
- Freshly brewed coffee 2 cups
- Sugar 3 tablespoons
- Ice cream or frozen whipped cream To accompany
Note: Gelatin is usually derived from animals. If you are a vegetarian either use vegetable gelatin or agar-agar.
- Dissolve gelatin in the hot water.
- Put a small saucepan on medium heat with coffee, sugar and gelatin solution.
- Bring it to a boil while stirring until sugar is well dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl; keep aside to cool down to room temperature.
- Refrigerate, covered in refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours or until coffee jelly is well set.
- Bring out of refrigerator at the time of serving and cut into cubes.
- Serve with frozen whipped cream or ice cream of your choice.
Tip: You may divide gelatin into individual serving bowls and refrigerate them to set if you like it that way. You may add ice cream or whipped cream on top as garnish.
Coffee jelly may also be served with frozen yogurt.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes (excluding refrigeration time)
Serves: 3 – 4