Healthy donuts! Well, that’s different given the usual deep fried method behind most donuts available commercially. But these banana-walnut donuts are baked and that gives them a healthier edge; plus, they’re oh so yummy! A personal favorite, donuts are a welcome sweet-treat any time of the day. So bake a batch and drool in their taste.
Ingredients for the Donuts
- Ripe banana, mashed 1 large
- Walnuts, broken into pieces 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar 1/4 cup
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Whole wheat flour 1/2 cup
- Almond flour 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Extract 1/4 teaspoon
- Egg 1
- Milk 3 tablespoons
- Salt 1/8 teaspoon
- Peanut butter, softened 3 tablespoons
- Powdered sugar 1/4 cup
Note: Almond flour can be made at home by fine grinding peeled almonds.
- In a large bowl combine both the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Then add vanilla and 2 tablespoons milk to them.
- Add the mashed banana to the egg mixture.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry one and also throw in the broken walnuts (reserve some for garnish). Stir to combine everything nicely. The final batter should have a thick slightly flowing consistency.
- Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius and dust a donut pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the donut batter into the donut pan and bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until the donuts become puffy.
- Meanwhile start making the glaze. Combine the softened peanut butter, remaining 1 tablespoon milk and powdered sugar until they become soft.
- When the donuts are done, remove the pan from the oven and let them stand for 5 minutes to cool down a bit. Then remove the donuts from the pan and place them on a wire rack for another 15 minutes.
- Finally pour the glaze over the ready donuts and sprinkle the reserved candies walnuts. Serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 50 minutes