Healthy donuts! Well, that’s different given the usual deep fried method behind most donuts available commercially. But these banana-walnut donuts are baked and that gives them a healthier edge; plus, they’re oh so yummy! A personal favorite, donuts are a welcome sweet-treat any time of the day. So bake a batch and drool in their taste.
Ingredients for Banana Walnut Donuts glazed with Peanut Butter
- 1 large Ripe banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, broken into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 cup Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 3 tablespoons Milk
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Peanut butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Powdered sugar
Note: Almond flour can be made at home by fine grinding peeled almonds.
- In a large bowl combine both the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Then add vanilla and 2 tablespoons milk to them.
- Add the mashed banana to the egg mixture.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry one and also throw in the broken walnuts (reserve some for garnish). Stir to combine everything nicely. The final batter should have a thick slightly flowing consistency.
- Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Celsius and dust a donut pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the donut batter into the donut pan and bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until the donuts become puffy.
- Meanwhile start making the glaze. Combine the softened peanut butter, remaining 1 tablespoon milk and powdered sugar until they become soft.
- When the donuts are done, remove the pan from the oven and let them stand for 5 minutes to cool down a bit. Then remove the donuts from the pan and place them on a wire rack for another 15 minutes.
- Finally pour the glaze over the ready donuts and sprinkle the reserved candies walnuts. Serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 50 minutes