Banana pudding is one of the popular puddings of USA which was developed somewhere in the late 19th century. The first authentic recipe of this easy to make recipe was published in 1903 in ‘The Kentucky Recipe Book’ by Mary Harris Frazer. This delicious pudding usually consists of banana or vanilla pudding or custard, sliced bananas and wafers. It may be made by baking or refrigerating both ways, but it is more popular to make it by refrigerating method.
Ingredients for Banana Pudding
- 6 or 8 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 package (50 gm) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup of cold milk
- 1 can (200 gm) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (200 gm) frozen topping, thawed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 package (250 gm) vanilla wafers
- Combine pudding mix and milk in a bowl. Beat for 2 minutes to mix well.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract, mix well to incorporate.
- Fold the mixture into thawed topping gently.
- Assemble pudding in a glass serving bowl by layering wafers, sliced bananas and prepared pudding layers alternatively.
- Refrigerate for an hour at least or until chilled before serving, enjoy.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: 4
- You may prepare custard of your choice and use it instead of pudding.
- Banana pudding mix may also be used instead of vanilla pudding.
- Sugar free sweetened condensed milk may be used instead of normal sweetened condensed milk for health reasons.