Baked version of the familiar custard topped with caramelized sugar, this fabulous dessert is also known as flan. Serve it as a dessert after lunch or dinner; warm or cold! Extremely easy to make and loved by kids, this is one dessert you should definitely try.
- Full cream milk 2 cups
- Eggs, lightly beaten 4
- Sugar 1 cup
- Yellow food color (optional) 2 – 3 drops
- Vanilla essence or extract 1 teaspoon
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees C or 356 degrees F.
- Put a heavy base pan on medium heat with ½ cup of sugar in it to melt. Remove from heat when sugar is melted nicely and turns to golden color.
- Pour the melted sugar into a custard bowl or divide it into 6 custard cups, tilting to coat the bottoms well. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Dissolve the remaining sugar in the milk
- Add in beaten egg and yellow food color to the milk mixture. Stir to mix well and pour over caramelized sugar in custard cups.
Tip: You may use only egg yolks to make it naturally yellow but in this case add in 1 tablespoon rice flour in milk as thickening agent.
- Place the cups in a wide and deep baking pan and pour boiling water in the pan to depth of 1 inch so as to dip the cups partially in water.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until done.
Tip: To check if the custard is done, insert a toothpick or skewer near center of cup and it should come out clean.
- Remove the cups from the oven and run a butter knife around the rim of cups. Then turn them over serving plates to un-mold.
- Refrigerate to chill if you want to serve it chilled. Serve!
Tip: The custard may also be made with readymade custard powder or pudding mix.
Preparation Time: 60 minutes