Blueberry or Falsa (Indian name) is a seasonal fruit that’s sweet and tangy and brings back childhood memories. Found as indigo or violet colored small circular balls, this is one fruit no-one can hate. And they’re not just famed to have awesome taste; blueberries are very healthy too. Some of the most reputed nutritionists claim that blueberries are quite beneficial for health in the long run. Here are some of the most amazing benefits of blueberries:
- They are rich in anti-oxidants, especially proanthocyanidins, which have been observed to have anti-aging properties.
- They contain a high amount of phenols, particularly gallic acid, which can literally protect our brains from degeneration, neurotoxicity and oxidative stress.
- Clinical studies have even discovered that gallic acid-rich foods like blueberries can kill cancer without harming healthy cells
- Being a natural source of soluble and insoluble fiber, blueberries can help regulate your gastrointestinal track
- Eating strawberries and blueberries together actually decreases the risk of heart attack by up to 33 percent
- They contain a wide spectrum of vitamins and minerals that help restore hormone balance and in turn, counteract acne
- Being low in calories and high in fiber, Blueberries may help control appetite and delay hunger cues, which can help with weight management
Who would have thought such tiny things could bring such large advantages?
And now for the fun part! Here’s an amazingly simple recipe for Blueberry muffins. Yumm!